Dave Lavallee, 401-874-2116
Update 10/18!! Please note, due to anticipated winds and rain,
the fireworks, D.J., and outdoor movie scheduled for
Saturday have been cancelled.
URIs Homecoming 2002 will be a blast, Oct. 19
KINGSTON, R.I. -- September 4, 2002 -- The University of Rhode Islands Homecoming 2002 will be a week-long celebration starting on Tuesday, Oct. 15 and ending with football, fireworks and more on Saturday, Oct. 19.
On the big day, when the Rams take on the University of Delaware on the gridiron at noon at Meade Stadium, there will also be post-game skating at the Bradford R. Boss Arena, tours of the Thomas M. Ryan Center, a Madden (video) Football Game Tournament in the Ryan Center, and a movie and fireworks on the Quadrangle in the evening.
Since last fall, about two dozen members of the campus and surrounding communities have been meeting to develop a homecoming celebration that would appeal to students, alumni, local residents and faculty and staff.
"Our friends from Narragansett had many good ideas, along with our alumni and students," said Dean of Students Fran Cohen. "Our events represent what these dedicated people want URI to be about during Homecoming. Its to their credit that the Narragansett residents and our alumni participated throughout the process."
Cohen said many of the activities are free.
In conjunction with the Universitys policy, all official URI events will be alcohol free. "The goal is to provide a safe, festive environment for our students, alumni and their families and faculty and staff," Cohen said.
Throughout the week, students in residence halls and fraternity and sorority members will be preparing floats for display before the game. "Each of the floats will reflect an era of URI starting in the 1940s," Cohen said.
The action really heats up on Thursday, Oct. 17 with a bonfire and the crowning of the homecoming king and queen on the Keaney Plaza. Following the bonfire, there will be a student dance in the Rams Den.
Saturday, Oct. 19, is the big day and it starts with the Second annual Homecoming 5K race at 9 a.m., and continues at 10 on the Keaney Plaza with floats, games, contests, prizes, music and food.
At 11:45, members of the Rhode Island Air National Guard will deliver the game ball by parachute to the 50-yard-line of Meade Stadium (conditions permitting).
"Were all pleased with this program because it is centered on the Kingston Campus," Cohen said. "Our students and other members of the committee demanded that the focus of the celebration be our beautiful campus. That makes so much sense because thats where many of most cherished memories are."
A complete list of the events follows:
Tuesday, Oct. 15 Contests on the Quad with prizes all day.
Wednesday, Oct. 16, 7 p.m. Comedian and variety show, Edwards Auditorium.
Thursday, Oct. 17, 7 p.m. Bonfire, crowning of homecoming king and queen, dance in Rams Den follows at 10 p.m.
Friday, October 18.
* Second annual College of Engineering Golf Outing, noon. Beaver River Golf Course, Route 138, Richmond. $60 includes fees, cart, and lunch. For more information call Ruth Gormly at 874-2186.
* Chafee Rededication, 7 p.m. Chafee Social Science Center Building Rededication and tribute to the life of the late Sen. John H. Chafee.
* Athletic Hall of Fame dinner, 7 p.m., The Ryan Center, $35.
* Float preparation.
Saturday, Oct. 19
* Second Annual Homecoming 5k race, registration, 7:308:45 a.m., race begins on Quad at 9 a.m. Prizes for top finishers in the following categories: URI alumni, URI student, URI staff/faculty, URI friend and juniors.
* Reunion Brunch, SAA and Union Board reunions, Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design reunion, Quadrangle bench dedication, Frank Newman Hall Dedication.
* Keaney Plaza, 10 a.m., floats, games, competitions, freebees, music, food, entertainment, demonstrations, Ryan Center tours
* Football, URI-Delaware, noon, Meade Stadium. During the game, the Alumni Association will provide a family tent inside the main entrance to Meade Stadium. The balloon lady will be on hand again, and there will be pumpkin painting, face painting and arts and crafts for the kids
* Keaney Plaza activities resume, 3 p.m. to 8:45
* Post-game press conference in front of Ryan Center
* Tours of Ryan Center, music
* Free ice skating at Boss Arena with DJ (there is a charge for skate rentals)
* Madden Football Game tourney
* Music, Ultimate Frisbee, 5 to 7 p.m., Keaney Plaza
* Kappa Alpha Psi Stompfest in Edwards Auditorium, 6 p.m.
* Movie outdoors, Keaney Plaza, 7 p.m. Men in Black II
* Fireworks, Keaney Plaza, immediately following the movie, about 8:45 p.m.
For more about Homecoming, 401-874-2242.