Media Contact: Linda A. Acciardo, 401-874-2116
Dave Lavallee, 401-874-2116
URI marks reopening of restored Green Hall
with open house, ceremonies
$6.25 million project returns URI landmark to grandeur
KINGSTON, R.I. -- May 30, 2003 -- The University of Rhode Island today celebrated the completion of a $6.25 million restoration project that has returned the 66-year-old Green Hall to its former grandeur.
More than 150 faculty, staff, alumni and friends took part in brief ceremonies and an open house at the campus landmark that was built in 1937.
Visitors toured the building and saw new mahogany windows, refurbished interior woodwork, and a gleaming gold leaf clock tower. Sections of the granite exterior have been re-pointed and cleaned and new landscaping surrounds the building.
URI President Robert L. Carothers and Westerlys Henry J. Nardone, a 1943 URI graduate who chaired the "Campaign for Green Hall: Restoring the Heart of Campus," welcomed the visitors and thanked them for supporting the campaign, which raised $1 million in private funds.
As visitors wound their way around the building, Carothers, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs M. Beverly Swan; and Enrollment Services Director Harry Amaral were in their offices to say hello.
The presidents suite has been returned to its earlier home in Green Halls west wing, where then Rhode Island State College President, Raymond Bressler, maintained his office. The Office of the Provost now occupies the east wing. The director of Enrollment Services is located in the north wing, with the remaining floors devoted to registration, student financial aid and the bursar. The Office of the General Counsel and the Office of Public Affairs are also located in the building.
About 75 percent of the building serves students directly. Now students are able to get the services of the registrar, the bursar, and financial aid all in one location.
The stately Georgian Revival building housed the library, bookstore, administrative offices and student services through the early 1960s.
The original library reading rooms rich woodwork has been refinished, and 10 large dome lights complement the grand fireplaces and woodwork. Carpet tiles mimic the two-tone tiles of the old library on the second floor. A student work area replicates the vintage tables of the old library. New wiring supports the full range of technology.
Construction began in fall 2001, and the project was completed on time and on budget. Berkshire Construction Services Inc., of East Greenwich, was the project contractor, and Robinson, Green, Beretta Corp. of Providence, was the architect.
The renovated structure allows for full access to persons with disabilities. Funding for such accommodations came in part from the Governors Commission on Disability.
Built in the shape of a T, Green Hall stands majestically behind Ranger Hall, reflecting the design of the earlier historic buildings surrounding URIs Quadrangle. Its pitched gabled roof, central columned pavilion, magnificent Palladian windows and the cupola that houses the clock donated by the classes of 1937 and 1938 make Green a fitting symbol of the Universitys origins and its future growth. Green Hall now serves as the logo on all official URI publications and signs.
The building is named after one of Rhode Islands great statesmen, the late Theodore Francis Green, who was governor in the mid-1930s and served as a U.S. Senator.
Green Hall served 1,100 students when it opened. Today the University enrolls 11,277 undergraduates and 2,903 graduate students.