Press Conference to Discuss Findings of Effort to Map Subsurface Plumes in Gulf of Mexico
Dave Lavallee, 401-874-5862
A team of scientists from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) will hold a press conference in conjunction with the journal Science to discuss their study results to be published Aug. 19 concerning an underwater plume in the Gulf of Mexico. The findings stem from work funded by the National Science Foundation and aboard the research vessel Endeavor that utilized the WHOI-operated autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) Sentry and newly developed mass spectrometers.
The findings are embargoed until 2 p.m. Thursday, August 19, 2010.
When: 1 p.m. EDT. Thursday, August 19, 2010
Where: First Amendment Lounge,
The National Press Club 529 14th St. NW, 13th Floor,
Washington, DC 20045.
• Susan K. Avery, President and Director, WHOI
• Richard Camilli, WHOI Associate Scientist, Applied Ocean and Engineering Department (AOPE), lead author and chief scientist for the project
• David O. Conover, NSF Director for the Division of Ocean Sciences
• Christopher Reddy, WHOI Assoc. Scientist, Marine Chemistry & Geochemistry
• Benjamin Van Mooy, WHOI Assoc. Scientist, Marine Chemistry & Geochemistry
■ Dana Yoerger, WHOI Senior Scientist, AOPE Department
• Nicholas S. Wigginton, Associate Editor, Science
Stephanie Murphy, WHOI Communications, 508-289-3340, 508-566-3055 (cell) Joel Greenberg, WHOI Communications, 508-289-3340, 626-298-4087 (cell)
The press conference will have two-way teleconferencing capability. For phone numbers and access code, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To receive a copy of the manuscript, reporters may contact the Science press package team at 202-326-6440 or email@example.com. (Registered reporters can access the paper directly from the SciPak webpage at http://www.eurekalert.org/jrnls/sci/.)