URI announces road name changes to accommodate new construction, road realignment
Dave Lavallee, 401-874-5862
KINGSTON, R.I. – August 16, 2012 – The University of Rhode Island’s Department of Campus Planning and Design has announced several road name and address changes, which will take effect Wednesday, Aug. 22.
The University’s Master Plan Review Committee approved all of the changes.
“We have worked hard to simplify the road system as the Kingston Campus has evolved with new buildings, gate installations and re-routed and newly built roads,” said Thomas Frisbie-Fulton, director of Campus Planning and Design. “As the campus community is aware, more changes are under way, including the opening this fall of Hillside Hall and the new College of Pharmacy building. Also, construction of the new chemistry building, the Plains Road extension, and Route 138 improvements are anticipated to begin in 2013.”
The changes are as follows:
• Heathman Road renamed Butterfield Road. Butterfield Road will now extend from Barlow Circle to Flagg Road.
• Baird Hill Road renamed Campus Avenue. Campus Avenue will now run from Upper College Road to Butterfield Road.
• Quarry Road will extend from its current end point in Fraternity Circle to Campus Avenue. The new section will run behind the new Hillside Hall. These changes will include new signs for Quarry Road and Fraternity Circle.
As a result of these changes and the upcoming construction of the new chemistry building, several buildings will be assigned new addresses:
• Cancer Prevention Research Center, 130 Flagg Road
• Chafee Social Science Center, 142 Flagg Road
• White Hall, 39 Butterfield Road
• Heathman Hall, 30 Butterfield Road
• Hillside Hall, 140 Campus Ave.
• Bressler Hall, 141 Campus Ave.
• Barlow Hall, 164 Campus Ave.
• Weldin Hall, 170 Campus Ave.
• College of Pharmacy, 7 Greenhouse Road
Those interested can pick up new campus maps as of Sept. 4 at Parking Services, 44 Lower College Road.