My research area is in chemical carcinogenesis with a major emphasis on the structural and synthetic aspects of DNA-adduct formation. Aromatic amine and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are present in environment, thereby posing a threat to human health. I am particularly interested in how environmental carcinogens, upon metabolism, interact with cellular DNA and initiate mutagenesis/carcinogenesis. The long-range goal of my research is to elucidate the mechanisms of mutation and repair at the molecular-genetic level using various spectroscopic and molecular biological methods.
Click here for description of current research projects
- L. Linge, H.-F. Chang, K. W. Olsen, B. P. Cho, and M. P. Chiarelli. Product Ion Studies of Diastereomeric Benzo[ghi]fluoranthene Adducts of Deoxyadenosine by Electrospray Ionization and Quadrupole Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry, Acta Chemica Acta, 557, 191-197 (2006).
- T. Yang, Y. Huang, and B. P. Cho. Synthesis and Characterization of Enantiomeric anti-2-Fluorobenzo[a]pyrene-7,8-dihydrodiol-9,10-epoxides and their 2’-Deoxyguanosine and Oligodeoxynucleotide Adducts. Chem. Res. Toxicol., 19, 242-254 (2006).
- S. R. Meneni, R. D’Mello, G. Norigian, G. Baker, L. Gao, M. P. Chiarelli, and B. P. Cho.
Sequence effects of aminofluorene-modified DNA duplexes: UV thermodynamic and circular dichroism properties. Nucleic Acids Res., 34, 755-763 (2006); 1945 (2006) Corrigendum.
- F. Liang, S. Meneni and B. P. Cho. Induced Circular Dichroism Characteristics as Conformational Probes for Carcinogenic Aminofluorene-DNA Adducts, Chem. Res. Toxicol., 19, 1040-1043 (2006).
- S. Meneni, S. M. Shell, Y. Zou, and B. P Cho. Conformation-specific Recognition of Carcinogen-DNA Adduct in E. coli. Nucleotide Excision Repair. Chem.. Res. Toxicol. 20, 6-10 (2007).
- S. Meneni, F. Liang and B. P. Cho. Examination of the long-range effects of aminofluorene-induced conformational heterogeneity and its relevance to the mechanisms of translesion DNA synthesis. J. Mol. Biol.., 366, 1387-1400 (2007).
- S. Meneni, S. M. Shell, L. Gao, P. Jurecka, W. Lee, J. Sponer, Y. Zou, M. P. Chiarelli, and B. P. Cho. Spectroscopic and Theoretical Insights into Sequence Effects of Aminofluorene-induced Conformational Heterogeneity and Nucleotide Excision Repair. Biochemistry, 40, 11263-11278 (2007).
- F. Liang and B. P. Cho. Probing the Thermodynamics of Aminofluorene-Induced Translesion DNA Synthesis by Differential Scanning Calorimetry. J. Am. Chem. Soc. (Communication), 129, 12108-12109 (2007).
- Nidhi Jain, Yuyuan Li, Li Zhang, Srinivasa Meneni, and Bongsup Cho, Probing the Sequence Effects on NarI-Induced -2 Frameshift Mutagenesis by Dynamic 19F NMR, UV, and CD Spectroscopy, Biochemistry, 46, 13310-13321 (2007).
- N. Jain, Y. K. Reshetnyak, L. Gao, M. P. Chiarelli, and B. P. Cho. Fluorescence probing of aminofluorene-induced conformational heterogeneity in DNA duplexes, Chem. Res. Toxicol. 21, 445-452 (2008).
- L. Gao, L. Zhang, B. P. Cho, and M. P. Chiarelli. Sequence Verification of Oligonucleotides Containing Multiple Arylamine Modifications by Enzymatic Digestion and Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS). J. Am. Mass. Spectrom., 19, 1147-1155 (2008).
- F. Liang, N. Jain, T. Hutchens, D. D. Shock, W. A. Beard, S. H. Wilson, M. P. Chiarelli, and B. P. Cho &alhpa;,ß-Methylene-2’-deoxynucleoside 5’-triphosphates as non-cleavable substrates for DNA polymerases: Isolation, characterization, and stability studies of novel 2’-deoxycyclonucleosides, 3,5’-anhydro-dG and 2,5’-anhydro-dT. J. Med. Chem., 51, 6460 (2008)
- N. Jain, S. Meneni, and B. P. Cho. Influence of flanking sequence context on the conformational flexibility of aminofluorene-modified dG adduct in dA mismatch DNA duplexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009 Jan 16. [Epub ahead of print]
Click here for complete publication list.