Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Science (B.S.P.S.)
Knowledge and skills in pharmaceutical sciences will be in great demand as new innovations are being developed in medication production, drug therapy, and delivery systems for drugs. As a specialist in pharmaceutical sciences, you might aid in developing, manufacturing, and evaluating products such as tablets, capsules, ointments, and liquids for medicinal, nutritional, and cosmetic use.
Pharmaceutical sciences graduates can expect to earn an annual starting salary between $45,000 and $85,000, depending on level of experience and work setting.
Options for Furthering Your Education
- Pharmaceutical and Life Science companies need B.S.-level graduates to do lab work of all kinds. As someone with the hands-on experience that comes with your B.S.P.S. degree at URI, will be highly qualified for these positions.
- The difference between hiring a BS versus MS versus PhD degree person is where an employee will be in the management chain and how much project supervision the employee will have. Higher degrees are demanded for more management and supervisory positions.
- Many career options are available in pharmaceutical sciences: drug discovery and design, drug delivery, drug action, clinical sciences, drug analysis, pharmacoeconomics, regulatory affairs, marketing, and sales are the primary broad categories. Each includes myriad job opportunities.
- Graduate school in more specialized field for M.S. or Ph.D.: at URI or another university
- Medical school for MD or DO: at another university
- Dental school for DDS or DMD: at another university
- Business school for MBA: at URI or another university
- Law school for JD: at another university
- Veterinary school for DVM: at another university
- Pharmacy school for Pharm.D.: at another university (remember URI is a 0-6 program)
- Product development
- Production and manufacturing
- Quality control and assurance
- Technical services
- Regulatory affairs
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Cosmetics industry
- Government agencies
- Specialty laboratories
- Biotechnology companies