Fire & Life Safety
University of Rhode Island/RI State Fire Safety Code
Bonfire Fire Safety Policy
- Permit required. No bonfire* shall be constructed on University property except under a permit from the University's Department of Public Safety.
- The permit shall be completed and delivered to Public Safety no less than 48 hours prior to the planned event.
- The permit shall not be issued for period exceeding 30 days and shall be revocable with or without cause.
- Application shall be made on forms provided by Public Safety and, when deemed necessary, include plans drawn to scale, showing arrangements and details of the planned event
- Person in Charge. One person, the permittee, shall be designated as the person-in-charge of the bonfire and the assembly who shall manage both under the conditions set forth in the University's Fire Safety Policy: Bonfires.
- Location. Permitted bonfires shall be located not less than 50 feet from any structure, automobile, combustible materials- including foliage.
- Public Safety shall confer with Lands & Grounds as to whether the selected location is appropriate.
- Burn times. Burning times shall be prescribed on the permit by S&RM.
- If the event is postponed for any reason, the permittee shall resubmit the request with the new date/time.
Firewatch. Bonfires shall be constantly attended by the permittee until such fire is extinguished. The permittee shall have a garden hose connected to a water supply or other fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
- Public Safety shall retain the authority to prohibit any permitted bonfires when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances (brush fire warnings, local disturbances, etc.) make such fires hazardous.
- Notice. Notice of the permitted event shall be made to the Kingston Fire Department and the
URI Police by the permittee.
- Construction. Assembly and construction of the bonfire, including the nature of the ignition source and fuel, shall be as prescribed in the permit by permittee.
A burn permit MUST BE ISSUED. They may be obtained from the South Kingstown Police Station. *Note: the Department of Public Safety reserves the right to rescind this permit at any time with or without cause.