If you would like to gain valuable work experience in the Criminal Justice field, the University of Rhode Island Police Department (U.R.I P.D) is always seeking qualified individuals. Students will undergo a comprehensive in-service work program relating, but not limited to, the campus community, safety, security of buildings and other related issues. Students will work side-by-side with sworn officers. They will perform certain tasks with police officers in the field and share information and ideas related to the events. The internship program is an opportunity for students to learn aspects of law enforcement that enhances students’ comprehension of the criminal justice system.
URI PD Internship Benefits
- Professional development
- Applying conventional classroom knowledge to practice
- Develop insight in the law enforcement profession
- Introduction to related career fields
- Become an actual participant and observer in the day-to-day operation of a law enforcement agency
- Satisfaction in giving back to the community
- College credit
- A URI student
- Trustworthy of confidential information
- Responsible and respectful
- Referral by a faculty/staff member is a plus
The number of hours per week that students will intern depends on the requirements of their class. Scheduling is flexible, enabling students to complete their hours around their class schedule. Internships are available during the Fall and Spring semester.
The Application Process:
- A criminal history check will be conducted on all applicants.
- Applicants will be subject to an interview process and reference check.