CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) Program
Required compliance training for University of Rhode Island Investigators and Study Personnel is offered through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative, commonly called the CITI Program.
CITI training is required for:
- Human Subjects Research: Investigators and Study Personnel conducting biomedical research and/or social/behavioral research involving human subjects.
- Animal Subjects Research: Investigators and Study Personnel conducting research involving vertebrate animals.
- Biosafety: Investigators and Study Personnel conducting research involving biological materials (refresher training only)
- Financial Conflict of Interest: Investigators conducting research funded by a PHS agency or other agency following PHS Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) Regulations.
- Responsible Conduct of Research: Students, post-doctoral researchers, others supported by National Science Foundation (NSF), National Institutes of Health (NIH), or U.S. Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture.
Steps for Access to CITI’s Training
- Go to: http://www.citiprogram.org
- Select “Register” at the top of the page.
- Select your Participating Institution -- University of Rhode Island.
- Create your Account with a User Name and Password.
- Answer the Course Selection Questions that are appropriate for the type of research you are participating in.
- Select "Finalize registration".
- You will receive a confirmatory email, open the email, click the link, and then log into the site.
- Complete the courses you selected by reading module text and taking quizzes.
If you have forgotten your CITI username or password, please follow the “Forgot Username or Password” link on the site as opposed to creating a new user account.
Completion of the CITI course for either IRB, IACUC, or RCR should take just over 2 hours; however, the program need not be completed in one sitting. Please Note: Registrants who begin the course but do not log in again for 30 days will be deleted from the system and will have to re-register.
NOTE: Please maintain a copy of your CITI completion report as proof of having successfully completed the appropriate training course.