Reporting a Concern
Faculty, staff and students who conduct research on behalf of the University assume responsibility for conducting their duties within the law and in keeping with URI's ethical standards. In keeping with this responsibility, each individual must:
- Understand and follow the institutional principles of conduct in the context of their University obligations,
- Ensure that they and the staff who report to them are aware of and operate in accordance with applicable laws and policies, and
- Report concerns or incidents of non-compliance
Direct concerns or observations of inappropriate conduct must be reported in order for the institution to fulfill its responsibility to review and fully investigate all potentially inappropriate activity reported by a member of the public or an individual within the institution. If you have a concern, please raise it to the University in any of the following ways:
- Raise your concern directly with the person involved. Because some situations can be misinterpreted, it may be helpful to speak directly with the person involved in the activity to clarify the situation. If you choose not speak about the concern directly with that person, for any reason, you are still encouraged to pursue your concern within the University.
- Raise your concern with a supervisor. Supervisors, managers or a chairperson in your department can provide you with guidance regarding your concern.
- Bring your concern to the Office of Research Integrity. The Office of Research Integrity will bring any and all concerns to the appropriate committees. The IACUC, IRB, IBC and Conflict of Interest Management committees are responsible for reviewing and fully investigating all inappropriate, neglectful, or non-compliant activities involving the conduct of research. You may submit a confidential report directly to ORI by phone to Ted Myatt, Director of Research Integrity, 401-874-2636, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to University of Rhode Island, Office of Research Integrity, 70 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI 02881.
- SUBMIT A REPORT TO THE URI ETHICS HOTLINE. Reports can also be made anonymously through the URI Ethics Hotline, an independently administered, toll-free hot line at 1-855-236-1845 or www.uriethicsline.com.