This website was not designed for Internet Explorer 7.0 or below. Please consider upgrading your browser to one of the following:
Mozilla Firefox | Internet Explorer | Google Chrome | Apple Safari
URI Logo Academic Roadmap® CCRI Logo
University of Rhode Island — Marine Affairs
(Select a different program)

What is graduate study?

Graduate programs provide opportunities for advanced study in an academic discipline, following the completion of a bachelor's degree. Graduate study commonly includes completing advanced-level academic courses along with a research project. The most common graduate degrees are the master's degree (usually awarded after two years of study beyond the bachelor's) and the doctoral (Ph.D.) degree (commonly awarded three years after completion of the master's). A limited number of graduate programs combine the master's and Ph.D. programs.

The marine affairs department provides four options for master's/Ph.D. programs.

Master of Marine Affairs (M.M.A.)
Applicants for this program must have either a graduate degree in a field useful in coastal and ocean management, such as the behavioral sciences, ocean science or engineering, resource economics, law, political science or public administration, or have at least five years of experience in some ocean-related activity.

Master of Arts in Marine Affairs (M.A.M.A.)
Potential applicants who do not have a prior graduate degree or the requisite marine experience to qualify for study toward the M.M.A. degree may make application for the degree of Master of Arts in Marine Affairs.

M.M.A./J.D. Joint Program between URI and Roger Williams Law School
The Roger Williams University J.D. program requires 90 credits that can be completed on a full-time basis in three years. The M.M.A. degree at URI requires 30 credits that can be completed on a full-time basis in one year. A student matriculated in the joint program will take some credits in one program that will also help satisfy the overall credit requirements of the other degree program. The effect of these credit transfers generally reduces the total time needed to complete both degrees from four to three and one-half years.

M.M.A./Ph.D. Joint Degree Program between Marine Affairs and the URI Graduate School of Oceanography
The Graduate School of Oceanography and the Department of Marine Affairs of the College of Environment and Life Sciences offer a Joint Degree Program in which students simultaneously take an Oceanography Ph.D. and a Master of Marine Affairs (M.M.A.) degree.

A detailed description of each of these degree opportunities is provided under the "Available Programs" Tab to the left of this page.