This year, several members of the competition team will be traveling to England to compete in the 2003 Intercontinental Dancesport Festival in Osmington Bay, Dorset, England from April 13th - 19th. Last year we had several people travel to Florida to compete and we had a blast. The festival consists of workshops everyday with world-class coaches from several different countries, competitions in all levels, and shows by various professional performers. The festival elevates your level of dancing very rapidly, introduces you to students from several different countries, and of course there will also be plenty of time to relax and go sightseeing. The Florida trip was an awesome experience and England promises to be equally entertaining.
Due to the nature of the trip, however, the trip to England will involve a lot of commitment and early planning. Here is a brief summary of what you need to know, also go to the official Intercontinental Dancesport Festival site to read the registration and participation info.
- You must be an active member of the competition team and a URI student in order to receive funding for the England trip. Other members of the club or team are welcome to join us, but won't be eligible for funding until the competition team members have been provided for.
- The competition will be taking place the week of April 13th - 19th which is in the middle of the spring semester. Keep this in mind when registering for your spring classes and make sure your professors know about your trip when the spring semester starts.
- The basic ground package for the trip costs $640 for students which includes all your entrance fees, room and board. The only additional expenses will be airfare and personal expenses. The club will be fundraising to offset the expense of the trip as much as possible - once we have an idea of how many people are interested, we can determine how much each student will receive.
- You must be committed to the trip and give a downpayment equal to 1/2 of your total cost of the trip by January 15th. Full payment for the trip is due by March 1st at the latest. If you register early, by December 1st, you can get a $50 discount. We will be arranging airfare as a group and you will know in advance how much the club is contributing to you.
- You must have a valid passport for the duration of the trip.
- You also need to be a current member of USABDA. If you're not a current member, a student membership costs $9.
If you have any other questions, don't hestitate to e-mail us.