Start A Group
HOW TO START A STUDENT ORGANIZATION
Starting a Student Organization can be a stressful, crazy process. If at any time you need help feel free to stop in the senate office, room 201 and/or e-mail the SOARC chair. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find a minimum of 10 people for your organization
- Hold elections for officers- President, VP, Treasurer, Secretary (See Rules on how to hold elections)
- Create an e-mail address for your organization and give all officers access. Please make this professional, for example: email@example.com
- Be sure to take a look at the Student Organization Handbook, print yourself out a copy, found at http://www.uri.edu/studorg/senate/resources.html
- This will help you to understand expectations and requirements of student orgs as well as the rights and privileges of being a senate recognized organization.
Fill out the recognition forms found at http://www.uri.edu/studorg/senate/recognition.html and e-mail the following to the SOARC chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. (printed versions will NOT be accepted):
- Recognition Form
- Membership/Contact List
- Model Constitution (or own constitution)
- Sign up for a SOARC committee meeting that both President and Treasurer can attend for signatures, drop by the senate office to ask how to do this.
- Attend the SOARC committee meeting you signed up for. At this meeting you will be asked to explain the mission and purpose of your group as well as what you plan to do (what kind of events, what you will teach, etc) and how it will uniquely benefit the campus community.
- Attend the senate meeting at which your recognition will be voted upon (typically ten days after the SOARC committee meeting) on Wednesday, at 6:30 p.m., MU room 300. At this meeting you will be asked many of the same questions asked at SOARC.
Need More Information? Please contact the Student Organization Advisory Review Committee (SOARC) at email@example.com
News & Updates
Mandatory President's Meetings
--- First Monday every month @ 7 PM
Student Org Officer Elections-April
View Calendar of Events