Skip to main content
Scenes from University College
UC Home
Academic Advising
Academic Enhancement Center
Feinstein Center for Service Learning
Getting Help Early Alert
Honors Program
National Student Exchange Program
Center for Career and Experiential Education
Living Learning Communities
Taking courses as a non-degree student
Transfer Resource Center


Academic Advising's FAQ | Orientation's FAQ


Academic Advising FAQ

The Basics...

Academic Advising

Major Selection and Career Exploration

Grades & Academics...


The Basics

What is University College for Academic Success?

University College for Academic Success (UC) is where all new students are first enrolled. It is essentially an “advising” college. University College for Academic Success does not grant degrees; its purpose is to provide you with advising that will help you to make the appropriate academic choices. UC also oversees several special academic programs, including New Student Orientation, the Academic Enhancement Center, Service Learning, the Office of Experiential Learning and Internships, and International Education.

Where is University College for Academic Success?

University College for Academic Success’s Advising Offices are located on the first floor of Eleanor Roosevelt Hall. (# 84 on the map below)

What are the hours of operation?

University College for Academic Success is opened Monday through Friday from 8:30 - 4:30pm.

Academic Advising

How do I know who my advisor is?

If you have selected a major field of study, you will be assigned (or can choose) a faculty member from that major as your advisor. If you are undecided, you will be assigned an advisor who specializes in working with undecided students. Click here for a list of UC Advisors.

What do advisors do? Why would I want to see an advisor?

Advisors are faculty members or professional staff who know a great deal about URI. They are experts in the fields of study they represent and can provide information about registration and major requirements. Advisors can guide you through procedural issues that you may encounter and can refer you to appropriate resources to learn about special academic opportunities such as study abroad, internships, and independent study.

What is the difference between UC Faculty Advisors and UC Professional Advisors?

UC Faculty Advisors are professors in each field of study who work with students in their majors, to map out their short and long-term academic plan. They also make sure that you are staying on course with your entrance into your college of choice and ultimate graduation. UC Professional Advisors specialize in working with undeclared students and have special expertise in university policy and procedure as well.

How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

As a UC student you simply log into e-Campus and follow this path:
Home>URI Advisement>Make an appointment with advisor
Or come to Roosevelt Hall and we will help you make an appointment.

What if I have a quick question that requires an immediate answer?

For quick (and general) questions, you may see an “Quick Question Advising,” a University College for Academic Success advisor on call daily between 9-11:30am and 1-3pm, no appointment is necessary. Click here for topics that are appropriate to resolve through Walk-In Advising.

Another option is our University College for Academic Success Peer Advisors. UC Peer Advisors are available via AIM (Screenname is ucadvchat) or you can see a peer advisor face to face weekdays from 9:00-11:30am and 1:00-3:00pm in Roosevelt #108.

Can I just pop in any time to see my UC faculty advisor?

UC Faculty Advisors do not hold “office hours” in University College for Academic Success, and are available by appointment only in Roosevelt Hall. To schedule an appointment with your UC faculty advisor, simply log into e-Campus and click on “Make an Appointment with my Advisor.”

Who are UC Peer Advisors? What do they do, and where can I find them?

UC Peer Advisors are upper-classmen students who either volunteer or receive academic credit to help UC students in a variety of ways. They see students on a walk-in basis, communicate with UC students via IM and email, and are available in the Rockett Room (Roosevelt #108) when classes are in session for quick questions and advice from 9-11:30am and 1-3pm UC Peer Advisors

What is the Rockett Room? Why would I go there?

The Rockett Room is located in Room 108 Roosevelt Hall. Students are invited to use the computers, review materials about different majors at URI in the major resource binders, and talk with UC Professional and Peer Advisors. You needn’t make an appointment. Simply sign in and you will be assisted in the order of your arrival. The Rockett Room is dedicated to Assistant Dean Emerita Sarah H. Rockett, who for many years advised students and later oversaw academic advising in University College for Academic Success. Dean Rockett continues to work part-time in UC, advising undeclared students and working on various projects.

I’m worried about how my [friend/roommate/child/etc.] is doing in school. Is there anything I can do to help?

There is a UC program called Early Alert, whose services are dedicated to helping students who may be in need. For more information, or to make a student referral, please visit their web site at:

When do I qualify to transfer from UC into my degree-granting college?

Requirements differ depending on your major and/or college. Once you have accumulated sufficient credits and taken the necessary prerequisite coursework, your advisor will file the paperwork for your transfer.  This happens after you have earned at least 24 credits, and before you earn 75 credits. 

Who will advise me once I leave UC?

You will be assigned a new faculty advisor by the degree-granting college once you transfer out of University College for Academic Success. For questions regarding who your new advisor is, call the appropriate academic department.

Major Selection & Career Exploration

What if I change my major?

It is very common to change your major in your first year of college. But whether making a change will result in taking longer to graduate depends on two things: when you make the change, and whether your majors have similar requirements. In order to change your major, please make an appointment with the UC faculty advisor who represents the major you want.

Can I change into any major I want?

Not always.  You must complete your pre-requisite courses for the major with satisfactory grades. Each major has specific requirements so be sure you know what they are.  Your UC faculty advisor is able to assess the feasibility of a major change.

What programs does UC offer that may help me decide my major?

Attend programs offered during University College for Academic Success’s Exploring Your Major month. Offerings change each semester.

How might UC Advisors for Undeclared Students help me choose my major?

UC professional advisors can help you to determine how your unique interests and academic aptitudes might “fit” within the program offerings at the university. They will talk with you about your high school academic and extracurricular experiences, your likes/dislikes, and courses and activities that can help you “test the waters” and explore major options. UC Professional Advisors will often refer you to UC Faculty Advisors for major overviews.

Where should I go for advice, support and information regarding career exploration/planning?

In additional to UC Professional Advisors who assist undeclared students in exploring major/career options, the Office of Career Services has a full staff of career advisors who can assist students whether they are exploring majors, or exploring options within their chosen major. For more information on their services, visit them on the web at:

When do I need to choose a major?

There is no real “deadline” for major choice. Many students come in as undeclared, and even more still end up changing their minds from their original choices. The bottom line is, you must make it a priority to work on finding the right fit. Students who are proactive in their approach to major-choice generally end up graduating on time, within the four-year time frame, if that is their desire. This requires actively researching major options, considering one’s aptitudes and natural interests, and knowing what criteria are important in terms of program fit (e.g. structure/lack of structure, amount of free elective to accommodate study away experiences, whether or not an internship fits etc.). UC Professional Advisors can help lead you through the maze of choices and find what’s right for you. Generally speaking, the more structured a major, the more quickly you need to choose in order to stay “on track” with pre-requisite courses (like math and science courses).

Where can I find the list of courses I need for my major? What about that sheet my advisor always has? Is that online somewhere?

Absolutely! UC is happy to provide this information as part of their Advising Resources section of their web site (Electronic Advising Handbook ). In addition, the formal source of all information is the university’s catalog, in which all academic programs at both the undergraduate and graduate level are outlined in detail. Finally, it’s always a great idea to check a department’s web site as well. Often times, individual departments have great information regarding their programs, as well as other interesting information about internships, alumnus, career and professional association resources, etc.

Grades and Academics

How do I calculate my grade point average?

Your overall QPA is figured by dividing:

total number of quality points
attempted credits

Quality points are assigned to each grade as follows:

A = 4.0

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B- = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C- = 1.7

D = 1.0

F = 0.0

The quality points earned for a course are computed by multiplying the credits for the course by the quality point value of the grade received (e.g., an A- in a 3 credit course earns 3 X 3.7 = 11.1 quality points). The attempted credits are the credits you've attempted minus credits for courses in which you've received I’s (incomplete's), S’s (pass in pass/fail courses), T’s (transferred courses), or for which an NR (no grade reported by your instructor) or NW (no work submitted) is recorded.

What does it take to make the Dean’s List?

If your QPA for a semester is 3.3 or better and you have completed at least 12 credits with a letter grade (excluding "S"), you will be placed on the Dean's list. Part-time students are also eligible for the Dean's List based on an accumulation of 12 credits at a 3.3 or better average.

Where can I find information about the Honors program?

Check out the university’s Honors program web site at University College for Academic Success also has an advisor available from the honors program. Simply log into your e-Campus account, and follow this path to schedule an appointment if you have questions about the program, courses, or criteria to graduate from the honors program. You must click on the third tab to access honors advising (see screen shot below).

Home>URI Advisement>Student>Make Appointment with Advisor

What is the second grade option and how do I know if I qualify?

Students who earn poor grades (C-, D or F) during their first 30 attempted credits have the opportunity to raise their cumulative QPA by repeating the course within two semesters after completion of the 30 credits. Although the transcript is not changed, only the second grade earned is calculated into the overall QPA (and only the credits for the repeated course count toward graduation). Transfer students have the same opportunity to repeat courses taken during their first semester only. 

Download the Second Grade option PDF

How do I know if I’m on probation?

Probation is a warning to students that if their grades don't improve, they may be dismissed for academic deficiency. A student is placed on academic probation if the cumulative grade point average is below a 2.0. Students on probation are required to attend a group meeting facilitated by staff from the Dean’s office of UC. Students are also required to meet with their academic advisor and are prevented from registering until they do so (even if they are no longer a first-year student). Probationary students are often contacted by UC Peer Advisors via email to see how they are doing. UC Peer Advisors offer academic advice and refer students to academic support services when appropriate.

When am I in danger of being dismissed from the University?

First semester freshmen who earn below a 1.0 QPA and other students who have been on probation for a semester and have a deficiency of 8 or more quality points below a 2.0 are potentially dismissed for scholastic reasons. Students who are dismissed receive a letter from the Dean and have the right to appeal that dismissal to the Scholastic Standing Committee of University College for Academic Success within a brief period of time. Appeals are granted, in some cases where there are serious extenuating circumstances. 

To calculate your quality point deficit, multiply the number of credits you’ve attempted times two, and subtract the number of quality points you’ve earned from this figure. Quality points are assigned on the following basis:

A = 4.0

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B- = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C- = 1.7

D = 1.0

F = 0.0

If I am dismissed, can I ever reapply to URI?

You may reapply to the Dean’s Office in which ever college you are (UC or one of the degree granting colleges)  for readmission once you have been separated from the university for at least one semester. Forms can be obtained through Enrollment Services in Roosevelt Hall. Undergraduate Application for Readmission Form

How can I make sure a summer course transfers to my program at URI?

Students need to obtain prior approval for off-campus coursework. Gather course descriptions of the classes you will be taking and bring these and the "prior approval form" to the chair of the appropriate department. The form can be downloaded here. 

Upon completion of the course, send a transcript to University College for evaluation. You must receive a C or better in order to transfer the course successfully.

What do I do if I need a tutor?

Tutoring is offered at the university’s Academic Enhancement Center (AEC) which is a part of University College for Academic Success. The AEC is located on the fourth floor of Roosevelt Hall. During evening hours, the AEC may be accessed through the rear first-floor doors, marked as a handicap-accessible ramp entranceway. The AEC has a staff of peer tutors, academic skills counselors, and writing instructors available to support your academic goals. More information can be found on their web site at

What is the general education program? And just how general is it?

Click on the following to browse to the online description of University of Rhode Island’s “General Education” (Gen Ed) Program.  While all undergraduate students complete the general education program at URI, please be aware that many colleges and/or majors specify what they want their students to take within the general education program. For undeclared students, the best advice is to take courses within gen ed that would work for any majors they are considering. UC Professional Advisors are happy to help students find such courses.

University of Rhode Island General Education Program

I study but never seem to do any better. What should I do?

The University’s Academic Enhancement Center (AEC) provides assistance  if you find yourself in this situation. Many students are challenged by learning new study skills and strategies at the college level.  Please contact the AEC for more information on assessment of your study activities and whether or not there may be new ways of learning that would lead you to more academic success. Visit the AEC online at:

Where can I get advising-related forms online?

Go to our “Useful Forms” section


How do I know when registration takes place?

Registration dates may be found online on the Detailed Academic Calendar. A simple trick to knowing when to schedule your advising appointment to discuss registration is to do it as soon as the Enrollment Appointments are posted online. You can see the detailed version of the academic calendar on the web at:

What do I need to do to prepare for registration?

Access the e-campus system to learn your enrollment appointment time. Make sure you do not have any sanctions on your record that may block you from accessing the system. Finally, meet with your UC advisor to determine appropriate course selection.

How do I know which classes are being offered next semester?

The course schedule can be accessed online here.

Where do I look for descriptions of classes?

There are two places to see the course descriptions. The first is the university catalog online, either in PDF format or by the alpha-order course descriptions. Both are available online at: Alternatively, you may also view descriptions within the university’s e-Campus system by following this path:

Home>SA Self Service>Community Access>Tasks>View Schedule of Classes

First click on “Class Detail” and then “Course Catalog Detail”for description.

What is an enrollment appointment and how do I know when mine is?

Enrollment Appointments are times assigned to each individual student during the registration period. It is basically your personal time to enter the e-Campus system to register for courses for the next semester. To view your enrollment appointment time, log into e-Campus and follow this path:
Home>SA Self Service>Learner Services>Academics> View Enrollment Appointment

What is a "hold" and how can I rectify it?

A “hold” on your record to prevents you from accessing the registration system, receiving grades, obtaining your diploma. When you log into e-campus, click the following links to check your hold summary:

SA Self-ServiceàPersonal PortfolioàHomeàPersonal PortfolioàHolds

Some possible reasons for holds include: overdue tuition payments; residence hall fees; failure to provide immunization records to Health Services.

Why do I have an advisor hold?

Advisor holds are placed on first-year student records to ensure that students meet with their faculty advisors for course selection and a timely transfer to a degree-granting college and eventual graduation. Please note: First-year students have advisor holds in the summer, fall AND spring semester of their first year.

Where and with whom can I make an appointment to review my courses for next semester?

UC Advisors can help you with appropriate course selection. Click here to view advisor schedules for the current semester.

What if I don’t know how to use the E-campus system?

Walk-In Advising can help you learn how to use this convenient online registration system. Advisors are available for this walk-in service every business day. UC Peer Mentors can also help, room 108 Roosevelt Hall, 10:00-11:30 and 1:00-2:30 daily.  

What do I do if a course is full? Is there still a way to get into it?

Sometimes instructors will allow students into their course even though it appears to be full on the e-Campus system. You may certainly approach a professor to inquire if they are willing to let you add the course. If they agree to let you into the class, they will give you a “permission number” that you will enter into the e-Campus system. This number overrides the course limit and gives you the ability to add the class. You can email a teacher, visit them during their office hours, call them if they are listed in the online faculty directory, or go directly to the course on the first day to make such a request. A good rule of thumb is to have an alternative course on your schedule just in case you do not have any luck with requests for permission numbers.

What is a permission number and how can I get one?

Students may obtain permission numbers only from the instructor of the course. Usually, a student will simply show up on the first day of class to see if it is possible, and request permission to override either before or after class. Sometimes it is  possible to find a faculty member ahead of time during office hours or via email. You can check the URI Online Directory to see if the faculty member has a directory listing.

I cannot seem to register for a class, even though it appears there are available seats. Why?

Restrictions applicable to courses are found within the e-Campus system within the course description section. Log in and follow this path: Home>SA Self Service>Community Access>Tasks>View Schedule of Classes. First click on “Class Detail” and then “Course Catalog Detail” If any restrictions are placed on the course you will see something called the “Enrollment Requirement Group” that explains the restriction.  For example, if a course is open only to juniors or to specific majors, this is where you would find that information.

Every class I wanted to take appears to be full. What do I do?

Your best bet as a UC student is to come in and speak with one of our professional advisors available during our “Quick Questions” (QQ) time. QQ services are available when classes are in session each weekday from 10 – 11:30am and 1:00-2:30 pm. Our advisors have an extensive knowledge of general education courses and/or free electives that might appeal to you, that you might not be aware of. Oftentimes students focus on the same courses because they are the only ones they have “heard about,” or courses offered only at the most highly desirable times. UC Advisors can point out other great classes that might not be widely known.

End of Academic Advising FAQ

Orientation and New Student Programs FAQ

How much does it cost to attend Orientation?
The cost to attend Summer Orientation is $160 per student and $35 per family member.  Please note that students who wish to arrive early will be charged an additional $20. The cost to attend Transfer Orientation is $30 per student and $10 per family member.

How do I get the Orientation session I want?
Orientation sessions are assigned on a first come, first serve basis. Simply click on the following link  to see what sessions are available and register for orientation. Reservations can only be made online.

How do I know what session I’ve been assigned to?
You will receive an automatic confirmation, as well as a confirmation card, which will be mailed to your primary mailing address.  If you have not heard from us 10 days prior to registering, call 401-874-5927.

Can I bring a car to Orientation or leave early?
You are welcome to bring a car to Orientation. However, we ask that upon arrival you park it in a designated student parking lot.  Because of the nature of Orientation, students may not leave early or leave at any time during the program.

Can I arrive the night before?
If you find it difficult to get to URI before 8:30 am, you can arrange to check in to the residence hall the night before. Please indicate this need when registering for your orientation session. While no formal programming will take place on this evening, you will be able to participate in activities with Orientation Leaders. For more information on Early Arrival, please click on “For Students” to the left of this page. Please note there is an additional charge of $20 for early arrivals.

Can I request a refund if I’m unable to attend?
Requests for refunds must be received in writing at least three business days prior to the session. Students and family members who fail to submit a written request in advance will not receive a refund even if they do not attend, as program costs will already have been incurred. Fax your request to 401-874-4320 or email it to

Do I have to take any placement exams?
We require a math placement exam. For more information please click the appropriate box to the left of this page.

uc message