Summer Transportation Institute
Session 1: July 7 – 18
Session 2: August 4 – 15
The URI Transportation Center hosts two 2-week sessions of the Summer Transportation Institute for seventh, eighth and ninth grade students.
The curriculum exposes students to highway and bridge design, construction and maintenance of roads, transportation of people and cargo, laws, regulations, safety and career opportunities. In addition, students participate in computer training, academic enhancement activities, field trips and student projects.
The session will take place from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm. Transportation from a central pick-up point in Providence is available. Supervision will be by the program director, program coordinator, interns and industry professionals.
All costs, including meals, field trips and supplies, will be covered by the Rhode Island Department of
Transportation’s educational outreach programs and the Federal Highway Administration.
- Must be a Rhode Island resident
- Currently in 7th, 8th, or 9th grade for the upcoming school year
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- An interest in engineering, science, transportation, or a technology related career
- Written essay and transcript or copy of report card
- A brief interview with the program director
For more information, contact Tory Perrotta at (401) 874-7075 or email@example.com