A cast bronze statue of “Performers” depicting three figures (or performers) by New York sculptor Chaim Gross (1904-1991) sits on a concrete base in front of the Fine Arts Center on Upper College Road was dedicated on May 5, 1972. The sculpture was a $50,000 gift to the University from Bo Bernstein of Providence who […]
A statue of Florence Nightingale who is credited with establishing the first nursing school is located in the Hart Garden at the southeast corner of White Hall. The memorial was dedicated on Nov. 19, 2001 during the renovation of the Hart Garden in celebration of the College of Nursing achievements. Artist Larry Griffis of East […]
When the $475,978 Administration Building, surrounded by stately American Elm trees, opened in 1959 some considered it a fine example of American modern architecture. The building wasn’t designed to compete for attention among its stately neighbors, most notably its nearest neighbor Davis Hall.
After much political opposition to expanding the College’s mission beyond an agricultural school, Science Hall was built in 1914 as a home for all science classes—bacteriology, biology, botany, chemistry, animal husbandry, math, physics, zoology and agronomy—finally replacing “the shacks in which chemistry and botany were being taught that were in a state of imminent collapse.”
Rameses I, donated by the class of 1958, is the honored mascot of URI. More commonly known as Rhody the Ram, the sculpture is located in front of the Memorial Union. Students, alumni and university officials are often asked how the “ram” became the school’s mascot. In the early days of the university, the athletic […]
Funding for the construction of Quinn Hall, as well as for Green and Roosevelt Halls, came from the federal government in 1933. The buildings were designated as a Works Progress Administration (W.P. A.) project, a Great Depression relief program.
Installed as the University’s 11th president in 2009, David M. Dooley is known for his collaborative leadership style and entrepreneurial approaches to problem solving.
Bliss Hall, the flagship of the College of Engineering since it opened it doors in 1928, is located on the northeast corner of the Quadrangle. It was named in honor of Zenias Bliss, a prominent and supportive state legislator.
During his 18-year tenure President Robert “Bob” Carothers strengthened the University’s structure, infrastructure, and curriculum. He oversaw a branding initiative that defined the University’s distinctiveness among public higher education institutions in the marketplace.
A sculpture of civil rights leader, Reverend Arthur L. Hardge, stands in front of the Multicultural Student Services Center. The 6-foot sculpture of Hardge, dressed in clerical clothes and holding a Bible, was dedicated Sept. 12, 2000 in honor of his life and legacy. “The Rev,” as he was affectionately called, was the first director […]