Memorials and Statues: Ben Butler

Old Ben Butler
Old Ben Butler

At the southwest corner of the quadrangle stands a cannon named Old Ben Butler. Capt. George N. Kenyon bought the canon for the University shortly before the inauguration of the state’s agricultural school, now the University. The captain loaned the cannon to the students as part of the celebration.  The students stuffed Old Ben full of “wet grass, sod, leaves, paper, etc.” to take advantage of the old cannon’s five pound charge.  At the celebration, Old Ben was shot off and then fell over lifeless onto the ground, not far from where it currently stands.

Old Ben Butler
Old Ben Butler, circa 1892