Memorials and Statues: The Memorial Union

Memorial Union
Memorial Union, circa 1954

Following World War II, five Quonset huts, provided by local war surplus stores, served as the university’s student union.  In the fall of 1945, alumni, the administration, and trustees began raising funds for the construction of a permanent structure.  In 1954, the building was dedicated as a memorial “in honor of alumni and students who fought for their country and as a living memorial to those who died in its service.”  Since the construction of the original structure, the Memorial Union has quadrupled in size.