President Edward Eddy, known as Ted to many of his friends, focused his efforts on developing a budget strategy to develop the University’s potential by promoting the uniqueness of the University and its excellence and by cultivating its then nearly 76,000 alumni base.
Washburn Hall, originally named Agriculture Hall, was built to centralize the studies of agriculture, animal husbandry, dairying and horticulture.
President Frank Newman reversed the tide of declining enrollment during his tenure. He revamped the general education curriculum to emphasize global perspectives, launched the research ship, Endeavor, and recognized the importance of higher education for older students.
Increased enrollment during the 1960s created a need for a new building on campus. Business faculty and alumni successfully lobbied President Francis H. Horn to designate the new facility as a business college.
Born in Germany in 1923, Werner Baum became a naturalized citizen in 1934, and the seventh president of the University in 1968.
Following World War II, five Quonset huts, provided by local war surplus stores, served as the university’s student union. In the fall of 1945, alumni, the administration, and trustees began raising funds for the construction of a permanent structure. In 1954, the building was dedicated as a memorial “in honor of alumni and students who […]
When Francis “Fran” Horn became the University’s sixth president, student enrollment was under 3,000 and state leaders often dismissed the University as a “cow college.”
East Hall, named for its location on the Quadrangle, was completed in 1909 and designated as a men’s dormitory, thereby solving a housing crisis on campus.
Carl Woodward became president of Rhode Island State College in 1941, one month before Peal Harbor was attacked.
The Memorial Gateway on Upper College Road, constructed with the last remaining granite quarried on the campus, honors the men from the University who lost their lives during World War I. In addition, a grove of 23 oak trees was planted at the gateway in remembrance of the 23 men who died fighting the war, […]