The meeting was convened at 11:00AM on March 17, 2014 in the President's Conference Room, Green Hall. Present: President Dooley, Chairperson Byrd, Vice Chairperson Rice, Senators Brady and Cerbo.
The following matters were discussed:
1. The FSEC asked the President about the pending legislation in the Rhode Island General Assembly to establish a new organizational structure of the Board of Education that includes additional powers of the President of the University. The President said that he has talked with the Chair of the Board of Education about amending the language to reflect the intent, that is, to allow routine university matters to be decided at the campus level not, as it reads literally, to alter shared governance at the University. The President indicated that Chairperson Mancuso was supportive of URI's position and would promote amending the bill with the Governor and legislators. She had indicated that any amended language would have to accommodate all three institutions (URI, CCRI, RIC). Chairperson Mancuso has asked President Dooley for options for the suggested language changes.
2. The FSEC gave the President a copy of the resolution that they planned to present at the March 20th Faculty Senate meeting:
RESOLVED: The Faculty Senate urges the President and his Director of Legislative and Government Relations to work with legislators on behalf of the URI faculty to amend Section 2. Chapter 16-32-2.1 of Senate Bill S2265 and FY 2015 Budget Article 20 in order to clarify and affirm that the authority to create and consolidate departments, divisions, programs, and courses of study continues to originate with "president and a committee of the faculty of the university [Faculty Senate]" (RI General Law §16-32-10), in accordance with the principles of shared governance.
3. The FSEC asked the President about URI Faculty Senate Bill #13-14-13 (Report to the Faculty Senate of the Constitution, By-Laws and University Manual Committee) which was approved at the January 23, 2014 Senate meeting. The thirty-day extension on approval expires March 17th. The President requested an additional extension of time in which to approve the bill. Ms. Neff indicated that an additional time extension would require Senate approval and that she would draft the request to be presented at the next Senate meeting (March 20th).
4. The President was informed that all administrator evaluation committees were proceeding on schedule. He was told that all evaluation reports were expected to be completed by March 30th.
5. Chairperson Byrd informed the President that a vote on the General Education Program was scheduled for the March 20th Senate meeting. President Dooley commented on his view of the disadvantages of the current General Education system. The discussion continued and focused on the philosophical tenets of the proposed General Education revisions.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:00PM.
EVALUATION REPORT PROVOST DEHAYES posted 9/18/14
OPEN ACCESS POLICY (5/24/13)