Conference and Paper Delivery
The purpose of the GSA Student Reimbursement Program is to encourage academic excellence by URI graduate students, by providing financial assistance for participation in short-term academic events as part of their research within their field of study. Academic events may include conferences, workshops or training seminars. Additional incentives are provided to those that present their academic work at such events.
- Each student may only be reimbursed once per fiscal year (June 1 - May 31) for either conference attendance, or an oral or paper presentation, but not both. All reimbursements for conferences that start on the dates between May 1 - October 31 are due November 1. All reimbursements for conferences that start on the dates between November 1 - April 30 are due before June 1. All reimbursement requests that are properly filled out will receive some funding up to the maximum allowances (see bullet 3) of uncovered costs as funding allows in the GSA budget.
- Reimbursement shall be for travel, registration, and lodging, up to the maximum. Students are required to have their department chair or major advisor sign the application to verify attendance and to verify whether or not the student received any funding from his/her department. Note: Reimbursements do not cover food expenses.
- The program allows for a MAXIMUM reimbursement $250.00 for an oral or paper presentation, and MAXIMUM reimbursement of $150.00 for attendance. within the continental United States; and a MAXIMUM reimbursement $500.00 for an oral or paper presentation, and MAXIMUM reimbursement of $300.00 for attendance outside the continental United States. Means of travel will be taken into consideration in determining the amount given, up to the maximum amount.
- Reimbursement shall be for transportation, registration fees, conference materials and lodging only. All applicants must fill out the proper reimbursement form, and original receipts must accompany all applications. If original receipts are not available, a memo indicating the reason(s) must be provided with the application.
- Reimbursement applications must be made after the event.
- For those claiming the higher level of reimbursement for an oral or paper presentation, the application must include a copy of the event program indicating the time of presentation and presenter's name. Also, a one-page abstract of the content of the paper or presentation must be submitted, preferably in electronic format (e-mail submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org). The intent is to post these abstracts on the GSA website to further communication between grad students about their respective areas of study and to help create an intellectual community on campus.
- The Executive Council has final approval over reimbursement requests.
PLEASE NOTE: Make sure all your forms, receipts, and other information are stapled together when you submit them to us. Failure to do so may delay or forfeit your refund.
Conference Reimbursement Form
Upcoming Senate Meetings
for SPRING 2013 semester: ( The following Mondays from 12 pm- 2 pm)
- LAST MEETING OF THE SEMESTER Mon. 5/6/13 12 PM Memorial Union RM. 300 Senate Chambers
If you're interested in becoming a department senator, please send a message to any of the officers or simply attend a meeting of the GSA. Department senators that attend two meetings in a semester get a $75 stipend as well.
Senate Meeting Minutes 11-14-12
Senate Meeting Agenda 12-12-12
Are you a senator who has missed a Senate meeting due to unavoidable circumstances? You can fill out a missed meeting form to make up for your absence. Contact a GSA officer for more details. Make-up meeting form
Problems with the website? Contact the GSA Webmaster.