College Student Personnel
Program of Study
All students take a core curriculum of 26 credits consisting of the following courses (please refer to the Catalog
for course descriptions):
- HDF551 Counseling Theory and Techniques (3)
- HDF560 Group Procedures and Leadership (3)
- HDF562 Organizational Development in Human Services (3)
- HDF567 Principles and Practices of College Student Personnel (3)
- HDF568 College Student Development and Learning (3)
- HDF570 Research in Human Development and Family Studies (3)
- HDF572 Administrative Practices in Human Development and Family Studies (1)
- HDF573 Legal Issues in Higher Education (1)
- HDF574 Environmental Theory and Assessment in Higher Education (3)
- HDF575 Cultural Competence in Human Services (1)
- HDF576 Diversity in Higher Education (2)
Capstone options include the following:
- HDF 580/581, 583/584 Internship and Assessment Project (10 Credits)
This option is recommended for the majority of students. It is designed for those who are seeking supervised work experience that serves as a bridge to post-master's employment. This option includes a weekly seminar class in addition to a minimum of 10 hours per week of field work over two semesters.
- HDF 595 Action Research Project (6 Credits)*
The option is recommended for students who are currently employed full time. Students must complete an applied research project carried out in conjunction with a work setting.
- HDF 599 Masters Thesis (6 Credits)*
This option is recommended for students who have had significant student affairs experience and wish to pursue research studies. The thesis is completed under the guidance of a faculty committee.
* Action Research and Thesis options also require 3 credits of HDF 553 (Higher Education Practicum) and 1 credit of the HDF 580 Professional Seminar.
All programs of study include up to 6 elective credits and a required comprehensive examination. Appropriate courses should be selected in consultation with the advisor. Up to nine credits of coursework may be considered for transfer from other institutions.
Field experiences may be completed as a one-semester practicum or as a year-long capstone experience. Placements have been offered at other institutions in the area including:
- Brown University
- Bryant University
- Community College of Rhode Island
- Connecticut College
- Johnson & Wales University
- Providence College
- Rhode Island College
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Roger Williams University
- Salve Regina University