Dr. Tom Manfredi
Office: 25 West Independence Way,Suite P,RM 223
Education & Training
B.S. Physical Education, University of Maryland
M.S. Physical Education & Special Education, University of Maryland
Ph.D., Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts
KIN 334 – Physiology of Exercise
KIN 531 – Physiology of Physical Activity
KIN 562 – Advanced Physiology of Exercise
KIN 564 – Physiology of Aging
Effects of aerobic and strength training on skeletal muscle morphology in older adults
Metabolic related diseases and skeletal muscle mitochondria in older adults
Aging heart and skeletal muscle morphology
1. Urso, M., Fiatarone Singh, M., Ding, W., Evans, WJ., Cosmas, AC., and Manfredi, TG. Exercise Training Effects on Skeletal Muscle Plasticity and IGF-1 receptors in Frail Elders. AGE 27:117-125, 2005.
2. Urso, Maria, Arthur Cosmas, Maria Fiatarone Singh, Thomas Manfredi. Immunogold Labeling of IGF-1 Receptors in Elderly Human Skeletal Muscle. Scanning. 27:208-212, 2005. FAMS, Inc.
3. Guo, Y., B. Gong, S. Levesque, T. Manfredi, and Y. sun. Automated detection and delineation of mitochondria in electron micrographs of human skeletal muscles. Microscopy Research and Technique. 63:133-139, 2004.
4. Santoro, C., Cosmas, A., Forman, A., Morghan, A., Byros, L, Levesque, S, Hennessey, J, Roubinoff, R, Manfredi, T. Exercise Training Alters Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Morphometry in Heart Failure Patients. The Journal of Cardiovascular Risk. 9:1-5,2002
5. Agostinucci, K., T.G. Manfredi, A. Cosmas, K. Martin, S.N. Han, D. Wu, J. Sastre, S.N. Meydani, M. Meydani. Vitamin E and age alter liver mitochondrial morphometry. Journal of Anti-Aging. 5:2; 173-178, 2002.
6. Prakash, P, Manfredi, TG, Jackson, CL, Gerber, LE. B-Carotene alters the morphology of NCL-H69 small cell lung cancer cells. Journal of Nutrition. 132:121-124, 2002.
7. Dean, S.G., Elliott, T.A., Lamont, L.S., Hackney, P.F., Manfredi, T.G., Dean, R.M. Influence of dietary manipulation and exercise on muscle lipids in endurance-trained athletes. International Sports Journal. 4:2, 111-119. Summer, 2000
8. Fielding, R.A., Violan, M.A., Svetkey, L., Abad, L.W., Manfredi, T.G., Cosmas, A.C., Bean, J. Effects of prior exercise on eccentirc exercise-induced neutriphilia and enzyme release. Med. Sci. Sports. Exer. 32:2, 359-364. 2000
9. Fiatarone Singh, M.A., Ding, W., Manfredi, T.G., Solares, G.S., O’Neill, E.F., Celements, K.M., Ryan, N.D., Kehayles, J.P., Fielding, R.A., and Evans, W.J. Insulin-like growth factor I in skeletal muscle after weight-lifting exercise in frail elders. Am. J. Physiology, 277 (Endocrinol. Metab. 40): E135-E143, 1999.
Most Recent External Financial Support
2004 – 2007 - $10,800: 3 awards from the UCONN Foundation (Dr. Arthur Cosmas, Professor at UCONN and Tom Manfredi, URI) for the purchase of a CCD camera, image analysis software, computer, and Millar animal cardiac left ventricular function.
2003 – Support for research study on effects of cadmium on liver mitochondria from URI Biomedical program $2700 s
1995- 2005. – Contract Award “Exercise Science Cooperative Agreement with Slater Hospital” for fall prevention” Contract with Slater Hospital for Fall Prevention Program for Psychogeriatric Patients. Approximately, $52,000/year. Manfredi, T, Annie Connolly and T. Romeo, PI's
2000 – Manfredi, Deville, R. Patterson. Characterization of skeletal muscle in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease. The W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc (SP#10021). $2,500
1999 – 2002 – Ying Sun (major P.I.), Robert Hill (P.I.), and TG Manfredi. (P.I.) “Partnership in physiological measurements & computing.” URI President’s partnership grant. $450,000
**National Strength and Conditioning Association and the ERP Logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of the NSCA in the U.S.A. and/or other countries.
Internship in Australia Information Session
Date: Tuesday, October 15; Session 1: 1:00-1:45; Session 2: 2:00-2:45; Where: Independence Square 203
Kinesiology Walking Program
The Kinesiology Department is seeking students to serve as walking coaches for the new “Rhode To Health” program on Wednesdays from 12-1. Highly interested students can also serve on the planning committee. The program will begin Wednesday, October 2 with a big kick-off ceremony up on campus. This is a great way for students to gain experience working in a “real world” setting.
Scholarships For Study Abroad
The URI Office of International Education will be offering information sessions for those interested in applying for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program: Thursday, September 19th 7PM-8PM Memorial Union, Room 318, Tuesday, September 24th 1 PM-2PM. For more information on the Gilman Scholarship(DEADLINE 10/1/2013), CLICK HERE
For additional information on education abroad scholarship opportunities CLICK HERE
The Study Abroad Fair
It will be held Wednesday, September 18th from 11:00 to 12:00 in the Memorial Union Ballroom. Information on study abroad and the Kinesiology Australia Internship Program will be available.
URI Physical Therapy Open House
The annual URI PT open house will be held on September 26, 2013 from 4:30 to 6:00 in Independence Square.
Kinesiology in the News
Kinesiology is a broad field encompassing all facets of human movement. CLICK HERE to learn more
HSS Living and Learning Community
HSS Living and Learning Community
in Butterfield Hall is a great opportunity for Kinesiology students to network with each other during their first year on campus.