University of Rhode Island Libraries
Rhode Island Government information for the public is
offered in both print and electronic formats. The Library has a large collection of
Rhode Island State publications which are shelved in the Government Publications area. The
publications are cataloged under an in-house classification system (the Swank system),
which is based on the issuing state agency preceded by the number 39, e.g. 39-E68
(39=Rhode Island, E68=Dept. of Economic Development). Listed below are the more widely
used state publications and electronic resources. For other Rhode Island State
publications, consult the HELIN library catalog (http://library.uri.edu/). Most print Rhode Island State
publications are shelved on the first floor in the Government Publications area, Ranges A
and B. Reference material relating to Rhode Island State publications is shelved in
Government Publications Range D.
General sources | Selected Rhode Island state publications
- Find-it! Rhode Island: Rhode Island Government
Information Location Service.
- Portal to state information. Includes links to selected
online publications and an A-Z listing of state agencies. The site can also be
searched by topic or keyword.
- Rhode Island Office of the Secretary of State.
- Portal to information on elected officials, the electoral
process, state agencies, and public information on businesses incorporated in the
State. "Citizens Toolbox" search engine provides shortcuts to the most
popular state websites and databases.
- State of Rhode Island General Assembly.
- Provides information on the General Assembly and its
members. Included are text of bills and their statues, committee agendas and calendars,
text of the House and Senate Journal, text of the General Laws of Rhode Island, contact
information on the General Assembly members and links to the websites of the legislative
commissions. Searching may be done by keyword, year or a particular file.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-B26b 1: A66
- Annual Report of the Banking Division. 1889,1895,1906,1912-2000.
- Statistics on banks and credit unions in Rhode Island.
Current year only
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-I68 who 1: 1874-1993, 1996, 1997. Annual.
- Annual Report of the Insurance Division.
- Statistics on Rhode Island insurance companies and
out-of-state companies that do business in Rhode Island.
- http://www.dlt.ri.gov/lmi/publications/bulletin.htm 2000. Monthly.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-L17LM 10:B67 1955. Monthly. [1955-1991 shelved under Sta. Pub. 39-L16es
3:. 1991-1996 shelved under StaPub 39-L16et 10:B67.]
- Employment Bulletin.
- Publication listing statistics on employment and
unemployment, sizes of labor force and hours and earnings.
- http://www2.sec.state.ri.us/ Current
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-S82 4:G68 1996. Annual.Latest on State Publications Reference.
- Government Owners Manual.
- Lists names, addresses and biographical information on Rhode
Island elected officials. Also lists names and addresses of state agencies and
commissions. Older title of this publication was Rhode Island Manual (Sta. Pub.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-E38 6:I63 1998-2002. Annual.
- Information Works!
- Data on school performances and student outcomes by
individual school and by school district.
- http://www.elections.ri.gov/election.htm 1998 (1976-1986 summaries only).
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-E45 5: 1903. Biennial.
- Official Count of Ballots Cast.
- List of elections of state officials and state referenda
with votes cast by town. No city or town elections are included.
- http://controller.admin.ri.gov/FinRpts_x.htm 1999.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-A20ac 1:F42 1976. Annual. [1976-1985 shelved under Sta. Pub. 39-A36ac.]
- Rhode Island Annual Financial Report.
- Statement of actual state revenues and expenditures compared
with funds budgeted.
Community Profiles. 1990. Annual
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-E26r 10:C48 Decennial. Earlier editions shelved under Sta. Pub. 39-E26 7:.
- Rhode Island City and Town Monographs.
- Basic economic and statistical information on each city and
town in Rhode Island. Each monograph revised every 10 years. Online version, Community
Profiles, are revised annually.
- Labor Market Information.
- Website offers a variety of labor information for job
seekers, employees and employers. Includes statistical data, interactive forms,
resource links as well as full text publications.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-A20pm 4:L26 1980,1987/88-1997. Irregular. Latest on State Pub. Reference.
- Rhode Island Landlord Tenant Handbook.
- Explains state laws and regulations pertaining to
residential landlords and tenants.
- http://www.state.ri.us/library/buildingcodes.htm Latest
- URI Sta. Pub. Ref. 39-A20cb 4:B84 1997. 7 vols.
- Rhode Island State Building Code.
- Compilation of laws and regulations pertaining to the
construction of residential housing Note: Current edition must used in
conjunction with the International Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwelling and
companion codes in order to have the complete state building code.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-H2vr 1: 1961. Annual. Latest on State Pub. Reference.
- Rhode Island Vital Statistics.
- Statistics on births, deaths, marriages and divorces for the
state. Some statistics are also given by city and town.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-A20ab 1: 1936,1938-1941,1942- (Annual). Latest on State Pub. Reference.
- State Budget.
- Tables of previous and current expenditures and recommended
funds for the coming year. Also includes current activities of each agency. Some years
include a separate Personnel Supplement and Capital Expenditures volume.
No. 147(1999). Irregular.
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-A20p 6:R37 No.1(1965)- (Irregular).
- Rhode Island Statewide Planning Program. Technical
- Technical reports on various topics relating to demographics
and land use planning such as population projections, land use, coastal planning, etc.
- http://www2.corps.state.ri.us/ELECTIONS/elections_division.htm Current
- URI Sta. Pub. 39-S82 9: v68 1974,1975,1985- (Published in years when a general election is
- Voter Information Handbook.
- A guide to state referenda and voting
procedures. Some years also available in Spanish and Portuguese editions.
If you need further assistance, please contact the Government Publications Office,
University Library, (401) 874-2606. If the office is closed, please consult the Reference Desk, which may be reached at
(401) 874-2653. You may also contact the government publications subject specialist,
Deborah Mongeau, at (401) 874-4610 or email@example.com.
D. Mongeau 1/88; rev. 11/98, 5/04