Welcome to the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS)
|BIS Index Page|
Adults go back to school for a variety of reasons – a good job, a rewarding life, personal satisfaction and enrichment. Education, dollar for dollar, is the best investment in your future you will ever make.
Is the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (BIS) degree program for you?
- The BIS degree program is designed for adults who have been out of school for three or more years.
- It provides a way for people, those who have never gone to college, those who attended but never completed college, or those who have an associate degree, to earn a Bachelor’s Degree.
- The BIS degree program makes it possible for participants to apply their previous education credits and earn credits for life’s experiences to apply toward their degree program.
How do we make your academic experience a successful and rewarding one?
- The program recognizes the rich and varied circumstances adult students bring to the classroom.
- Faculty members understand needs of adult students and appreciate having them in their classes.
- URI’s Providence Campus offers a wide range of student services to accommodate adult students.
- Experienced academic advisors provide assistance for course selection, degree program completion planning, and those initial key steps to take just after graduation.
What is the Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies program like?
- The program offers four majors and a range of credit options that adult students can use to design a degree program that fits their interests and background.
- The degree program stresses interdisciplinary study, from the beginning course through the General Education courses, as well as senior seminars, and many of the majors.
- Highly flexible and adaptable, the BIS programs allows adult students to discover and explore areas best suited to their interests, while at the same time, providing a solid preparation for a career or graduate school.
- The BIS program has a variety of approaches for making use of previous educational experiences for academic credit toward your degree.
- Students can apply up to 88 credits of their earlier college course work to the total 118 credits needed for the BIS degree.
- It is possible to apply transfer credits from another college or university, including credits earned for an associate’s degree.
- Students may also obtain credit by examination, as well as for prior learning, military service, and employer training programs even if these educational experiences were not carried out in a in a formal classroom environment
Students who have graduated from the URI Providence BIS program have gone on to graduate schools in various fields, while others have gone on to successful careers in business, education, health and human services, and a variety of other areas. If you are looking for a degree program that respects the experience that adults bring to the classroom, builds on the learning and skills mastery you have already achieved, and supports adult students throughout their studies, this is the degree for you!
Use the CALL TO ACTION BOX on the upper left corner of this page to contact our program coordinator, Dr. Anne Hubbard, for more information.
|BIS Index Page|