A Parade of Presidents
|As URI prepares to say good-by to Robert L. Carothers, the University’s second longest serving president, we thought we would take a look back at all of URI’s presidents—who they were and when they served.
(1) John H. Washburn 1892-1903
(2) Kenyon L. Butterfield 1903-1906
(3) Howard Edwards 1906-1930, the longest serving president.
(4) Raymond G. Bressler 1931-1940
(5) Carl R. Woodward 1941-1958, the third longest serving president.
(6) Francis H. Horn 1958-1967
(7) Werner A. Baum 1968-1973
(8) Frank Newman 1974-1983
(9) Edward D. Eddy 1983-1991
(10) Robert L. Carothers 1991-2009 the second longest serving president.
Over the years, the name of the University changed three times:
From 1892 to 1909 it was Rhode Island State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.
In 1909 it was re-named Rhode Island State College.
In 1951 it became the University of Rhode Island
Three men have served as acting presidents,one twice:
John Barlow 1930 & 1940
Don James 1967
William R. Ferrante ’49, 1973—the only URI graduate to serve as the University’s top administrator.
Leave a Comment
Most comments will be posted within 24 hours of submission.