KINGSTON, R.I. – July 15, 2022 – I write today to reiterate for our community that the University of Rhode Island is an institution committed to rejecting racism in all its forms.
The University learned today of at least two of our students allegedly involved in the posting of a racist video on social media. The video appeared to promulgate racist stereotypes about Black people and was a stinging reminder of the long road URI and America has to travel to truly achieve justice, equity, diversity and inclusion on campus and in society.
URI will follow university policies and procedures regarding this issue and will work towards a swift resolution.
If members of the University community need support, please reach out to the following resources:
* Community, Equity and Diversity, 306 Green Hall, 401-874-7077, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Multicultural Student Services Center, 401-874-5829, email@example.com
* URI Counseling Center, 222 Roosevelt Hall, 401-874-2288.
* Dean of Students Office, 302 Memorial Union, 401-874-2098.
* Psychological Consultation Center, Chafee Social Science Center, Suite 100.
* Campus Chaplains, 401-874-2740, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Employee Assistance Program, 401-874-5271.
I want to remind everyone that we are one community and that we are steadfast in our commitment to building a welcoming, just and equitable University.
Marc B. Parlange